Athens, the ancient city of Greece, is a must-see travel destination for all lovers of history, culture and gastronomy. With a rich history dating back over 3,000 years, Athens is full of historical and cultural sites, culinary delights, unique experiences and a vibrant nightlife.
- What to do in Athens?
- Where to sleep?
- Where to eat?
Let us guide you through the best activities to do in the city of Athens to make your trip unforgettable.
How to get to the Greek capital?
There are several UK airports and flight companies taking you to Athens:
- British Airways:
- London Heathrow
- Aegean Airlines:
- London Heathrow
- London Gatwick
- Wizz Air:
- London Luton
Where to stay in Athens
1. The 5 best neighborhoods to stay in
Athens is a beautiful and vibrant city with many interesting areas to stay. Here are some popular places to rent a hotel in Athens:
- Plaka : Located in the old town of Athens, the Plaka district is known for its narrow and winding streets, colorful houses and traditional restaurants. The hotels in this area often offer a breathtaking view of the Acropolis.
- Monastiraki : This lively neighborhood is known for its flea market, stores, restaurants and bars. It’s a great place for travelers looking to be in the heart of the action.
- Kolonaki : This chic and elegant neighborhood is located at the foot of the Lycabette hill. It is a popular place for luxury boutiques, art galleries and high-end restaurants.
- Syntagma : Located in the center of Athens, Syntagma is the ideal place for business travelers and tourists looking to be close to the city’s main attractions. It is also easily accessible by public transportation.
- Thissio : This bohemian neighborhood is located just below the Acropolis and offers a breathtaking view of the city. It is a popular place for restaurants, bars and outdoor cafes.
2. Book your hotel
To find your hotel in Athens, we suggest you first search for your dream hotel (and your budget) on this Booking map:Booking.com
Hotel Athens : our 2 favorites 💓
For a central accommodation, close to the transportation leading you to the main monuments, but also to the airport, we have chosen for you these 2 hotels in Athens :
What to do in Athens in 2023? 14 must-do activities
1. Discover the Acropolis
Your trip to Athens cannot be complete without a visit to the Acropolis, the city’s iconic symbol. The Acropolis is a complex of temples and buildings built on top of a 156 meter high hill that dominates the city. You can admire the most famous monuments such as the Parthenon, the Erechtheion, the Propylaea and the Temple of Athena Nike.
Réservez vos tickets à l’avance pour l’Acropole ci-dessous :
2. Three ancient sites to see
In addition to the Acropolis, Athens is also home to other must-see ancient sites, such as:
- the ancient Agora,
- the Temple of Olympian Zeus,
- the Temple of Poseidon in Sounion and many others.
Réservez vos tickets à l’avance ci-dessous :
3. Three museums to learn more about Athens
Athens is a city rich in history and culture, and this is reflected in its many museums and art galleries.
1. Acropolis Museum
The Acropolis Museum is a must-see, where you can admire the statues and artifacts of the Acropolis.
2. Musée archéologique d’Athènes
The National Archaeological Museum houses thousands of ancient treasures and classical Greek sculptures.
3. THE EMST
If you are a modern art lover, the EMST Museum of Contemporary Art is a must-see.
4. Enjoy Greek Cuisine and Local Specialties
Greek cuisine is famous all over the world for its flavor and diversity. You can’t leave Athens without tasting the famous local specialties, such as :
- the souvlaki,
- the dolmades,
- the moussakas,
- Greek salads
- and gyros.
De nombreux “Food tours” sont organisés dans la ville avec des guides locaux, à réserver ci-dessous si vous le souhaitez :
5 restaurants à tester !
The city is full of traditional restaurants where you can enjoy delicious local dishes. Here is our selection of 5 restaurants in Athens to try to eat local:
- Ta Karamanlidika Tou Fani: This restaurant offers a selection of Greek cold cuts and cheeses, accompanied by local wines. Main courses include meat and fish dishes, as well as vegetarian dishes.
- Diporto: This family restaurant is located in the Psiri neighborhood and offers traditional Greek cuisine in a warm and friendly atmosphere. The dishes are simple but tasty, and the service is excellent.
- To Kafeneio: This restaurant is a real hidden gem of Athens, located in a small alley near Monastiraki. The menu offers classic Greek dishes such as moussaka and stifado, as well as more modern dishes with a Mediterranean twist.
- Strofi : Located at the foot of the Acropolis, this restaurant offers a breathtaking view of the city. The cuisine is traditional Greek, with a selection of mezzes, salads and meat and fish dishes.
- Kuzina : This modern restaurant offers modern Greek cuisine with an international touch. Dishes are prepared with fresh, local ingredients, and the menu offers a selection of quality Greek wines.
5. Shopping in Athens
Athens is a city where shopping is king. Whether you’re looking for souvenirs, designer clothes or local products, the city has it all.
Ermou Street is a popular shopping street, with clothing and shoe stores.
The central market of the city, the Varvakios market, is a lively place where you can find fresh products such as fruits, vegetables, meat and seafood.
Pour une visite guidée spécialement orientée shopping, réservez votre guide ici :
6. Enjoy the Nightlife of Athens
Après une journée de visites et d’exploration, il est temps de profiter de la vie nocturne animée d’Athènes. La ville regorge de bars, de clubs et de tavernes où vous pourrez passer une soirée agréable.
Si vous cherchez un endroit pour danser, le quartier de Gazi est le lieu de prédilection. Les bars et les clubs y sont nombreux, et la musique ne s’arrête jamais.
Si vous préférez quelque chose de plus tranquille, vous pouvez opter pour les tavernes traditionnelles qui offrent une atmosphère chaleureuse et conviviale.
Et pour être sûr de ne pas louper votre nuit athénienne, réservez votre soirée ici :
7. Take a walk in the Historic Districts of Athens
Athens is a historic city, and you can discover its history through its historic districts.
The Plaka neighborhood is one of the oldest in the city, with its narrow streets and colorful houses.
The neighborhood of Monastiraki is famous for its flea market, where you can find all kinds of souvenirs and antiques.
The neighborhood of Anafiotika, located at the top of the Acropolis hill, is a picturesque place with white houses and cobblestone streets.
8. Attend a Folkloric Dance Show
Greece is famous for its folk dances, and you can attend a traditional dance performance during your visit to Athens.
The dances are accompanied by traditional music, and the colorful costumes and energetic movements of the dancers are a sight to see.
9. Enjoy the View from the Hills of Athens
Athens is a city built on hills, and there are several viewpoints that offer a panoramic view of the city.
Mount Lycabetta is one of the most popular viewpoints, with a breathtaking view of the city and the Aegean Sea.
Mount Philopappos is also a great place to admire the city, with hiking trails and beautiful views of the Acropolis.
10. Visit the Islands near Athens
Athènes est entourée de plusieurs îles magnifiques, facilement accessibles en bateau depuis la ville. Pour réserver votre journée vers ces îles, ça se passe en-dessous :
The island of Aegina is one of the closest, with its white houses and sandy beaches.
The island of Hydra is famous for its traditional architecture and cobblestone streets.
The island of Poros is also a popular destination, with its sandy beaches and crystal clear waters.
11. Attend a Cultural Event
Athens is a lively city with many cultural events throughout the year.
You can attend a theater show in the famous ancient theater of Epidaurus, or a concert at the Olympic Stadium.
The city also organizes many festivals throughout the year, such as :
- the Acropolis Festival,
- the Athens Film Festival
- and the Gastronomy Festival.
12. Take a Bike Ride in the City
A fun and different way to discover Athens is to take a bike ride around the city. You can rent a bike and explore the different neighborhoods, passing through lesser known parts of the city.
You can discover Athens at your own pace and explore every corner of the city.
Une balade à vélo est également un excellent moyen de découvrir les monuments historiques de la ville, tels que l’Acropole et le Parthénon. N’hésitez pas à réserver votre bike tour d’Athènes ci-dessous :
13. Relax in the Parks of Athens
Athens is a busy and noisy city, but it also has many peaceful parks and gardens where you can relax.
The Attica National Park is one of the largest parks in the city, with hiking trails, lakes and botanical gardens.
The National Garden of Athens is also a nice place to walk and enjoy nature in the heart of the city.
14. Participate in a Wine Tasting
La Grèce est célèbre pour ses vins, et vous pouvez découvrir la viticulture locale en participant à une dégustation de vin.
Athènes possède de nombreux bars à vin et des caves à vin où vous pouvez déguster des vins locaux et découvrir les différentes variétés et les techniques de production.
Le mieux pour des touristes reste de procéder à des dégustations sur place : c’est convivial et cela permet d’avoir meilleur aperçu des vins locaux. Pour ça, réservez votre wine tour ci-dessous :
When is the best time to visit Athens?
The best time to visit Athens is from April to June and from September to October, when temperatures are mild and crowds are smaller.
Weather Athens : what temperatures during the year ?