If you are looking for an off-the-beaten-path destination in Greece, Milos should definitely be on your list. This small island, located in the Aegean Sea, is known for its beautiful beaches, its crystal clear waters and its landscapes described as “lunar” unique in the world.
- What to do in Milos?
- How to get there?
- Where to sleep?
Let’s take stock together for a memorable trip!
Why visit Milos?
Milos is an ideal destination for those looking to get off the beaten track and discover a corner of paradise still untouched by mass tourism. This small Greek island offers a variety of landscapes, from white sand beaches to spectacular volcanic rock formations. But Milos is not limited to its natural beauty: it is also rich in history and culture, with fascinating archaeological sites and a gastronomic heritage to discover.
How to get to Milos?
From United Kingdom
|Airport 🛬||Airline ✈️||Direct/indirect flights 🔄|
|London Heathrow (LHR)||Aegean Airlines||Indirect 🔄|
|London Gatwick (LGW)||EasyJet||Direct ✈️|
|Aegean Airlines||Indirect 🔄|
|Manchester (MAN)||EasyJet||Direct ✈️|
|Birmingham (BHX)||TUI Airways||Direct ✈️|
From United States
|Airport 🛬||Airline ✈️||Direct/indirect flights 🔄|
|New York John F. Kennedy (JFK)||Delta Air Lines||Indirect 🔄|
|Boston Logan (BOS)||Emirates||Indirect 🔄|
|Turkish Airlines||Indirect 🔄|
|Chicago O’Hare (ORD)||Emirates||Indirect 🔄|
|Los Angeles (LAX)||Emirates||Indirect 🔄|
Once you arrive at the airport, you can either take a bus, rent a car, take a cab or why not book in advance a driver who will wait for you and drop you off at the hotel, as below:
Where to stay in Milos?
Book a hotel in Milos
To find a hotel easily, you can search on this Booking map:
To guide you a little bit in your search, here are the main towns and villages where to look for your accommodation in Milos:
- Adamas : This is the main port of Milos, with many restaurants, stores and accommodation options. It is a good starting point to explore the island.
- Plaka : This is the capital of Milos, with cobblestone streets and traditional white houses. You can find charming hotels with panoramic views of the island.
- Pollonia : Located on the northeast coast of Milos, Pollonia is a small fishing village with fine sandy beaches and crystal clear waters. It is a quiet and peaceful place to relax.
- Firopotamos : This small fishing village located east of Adamas is known for its colorful houses built directly on the beach. It is a unique place to stay in Milos.
- Sarakiniko : Although not a village, Sarakiniko is a popular beach for its unique white rock formations that resemble a stone moon. There are a few lodging options nearby for those looking to be close to the beach.
Our favorite : Plaka Suites, in Plaka
And to orient yourself even more, why not book this incredible lovers’ suite in Plaka, with its incredible and so Greek decoration, but most of all, its masterful sea view? Book your stay at Plaka Suites here! From 100€/night.
The hotel of your dreams: Milos Cove, in Thiorikhía Mílou
Beware of the eyes, Milos Cove is a dream hotel. Once again, we recommend that you go with your partner. A true luxury hotel, with private beach, exquisitely designed architecture, restaurant, gym and pool with sea view. From 285€ per night.
What to do in Milos in 2023? Top 9 activities
1. Sarakiniko Beach and its lunar landscapes
A unique beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in Greece in our opinion, with white volcanic rock formations that look like a lunar landscape. A place out of time. Located about 4 kilometers from Adamas, you can easily get there by car, cab or even by organized tour.
The most daring can even book a shooting session with a professional:
2. Three other dream beaches to see
Milos is known for its white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters, which rival those of Santorini or Mykonos. Among the most popular beaches are:
- Tsigrado : a beach hidden between steep cliffs, accessible by a rope ladder.
- Firiplaka : a sandy beach surrounded by green hills, ideal for swimming and snorkeling.
- Paleochori : a beach of black sand and pebbles, with natural hot springs that flow into the sea.
3. Scuba diving
The Aegean Sea is known for its richness in marine life. The dives offer a unique opportunity to discover the marine fauna and flora.
Beginners and experienced divers alike can find something to enjoy.
Book your diving or snorkeling day here:
4. The rocks of Kleftiko
The rocks of Kleftiko, emerging from the turquoise water, are a major attraction of Milos. The best way to discover them is by boat. The steep cliffs and natural caves offer a breathtaking landscape.
Discover Kleftiko with a guide:
5. The Catacombs of Milos
The catacombs of Milos are an underground complex of Christian tombs dating from the 1st century. This historical attraction offers a unique opportunity to discover the history of the island, which also abounds in other archaeological sites, such as :
- The ruins of the ancient city of Phylakopi, which dates back to the 2nd millennium BC.
- The Roman theater of Milos, built in the first century BC.
6. Climbing the inactive volcanoes of Kalamos
The horseshoe-shaped island, formed by volcanic activity, emerged from a distant past. Millions of years ago, tons of lava from the bowels of the Earth suddenly cooled, taking on strange shapes and colors. Creating the charming geological “paradox” of Milos.
Nowadays, tourists can admire Milos from its heights, especially by climbing the volcano of Kalamos. Leave in the early morning with a guide for an extraordinary experience!
7. Visit the charming village of Plaka
Plaka is the capital of the island, offering a panoramic view of the sea and the surrounding mountains. The village is known for its traditional architecture, churches and taverns. Here are some highly recommended activities:
- Discover its churches and museums – Plaka has several historic churches as well as art and history museums that are worth a visit.
- Enjoy the sunset view – The village of Plaka offers breathtaking views of the Aegean Sea, especially at sunset.
- Taste the local cuisine – There are many restaurants in Plaka that serve delicious and authentic local cuisine.
- Visit the nearby villages – There are several picturesque villages in the vicinity of Plaka, such as Tripiti and Klima, which are worth a visit.
Papafragas Beach – This beach is located in a rocky cove, offering a unique swimming experience. The rock formations of the beach create a breathtaking landscape.
8. Treat yourself to a dream cruise
Milos and its extraordinary landscapes are also, as is often the case in the Cyclades archipelago, the scene of fantastic day cruises. As a couple, with family or friends, let yourself go for a day at sea by booking below:
9. Taste the local gastronomy
Milos is also known for its local cuisine, which emphasizes the seafood and specialties of the island. Don’t miss to taste :
- Pitarakia, a local specialty made of filo pastry, cheese and herbs.
- Fresh seafood, such as sea urchins, mussels and squid.
- The xerotigana, a local pastry made with honey and sesame.
Why not take a food tour in Milos to taste the local wines and food:
When to go to Milos?
Climate and weather
|Month||Maximum temperature||Minimum temperature|
Milos can be visited all year round, but the best time to enjoy the island is from May to September, when the temperatures are pleasant and the beaches are accessible. However, if you are looking to avoid the crowds, it may be worthwhile to visit Milos outside the high season.
Milos: questions and answers!
Is Milos a family-friendly destination?
Yes, Milos offers a variety of activities for children, such as the beach of Papikinou or the archaeological museum of Milos. Don’t hesitate to choose a kid-friendly vacation club!
How long does it take to visit Milos?
It is recommended to spend at least 3 days on the island in order to discover its main attractions.
Is it possible to scuba dive in Milos?
Yes, Milos is an excellent diving spot, with a rich marine life to discover. And a very clear blue water!
Is Milos an expensive destination?
Prices in Milos can vary depending on the season, but in general, the island is more affordable than destinations like Santorini or Mykonos.
What is the best way to get around the island?
It is recommended to rent a car or a scooter to move easily on the island.