Crete is a beautiful island located in the Mediterranean Sea. It is known for its natural beauty, fine sandy beaches and turquoise waters. Crete is also a popular destination for family vacations, as it offers many activities for all ages. If you plan to spend your next vacation in Crete, it is important to know that you will need a vehicle to get around. Fortunately, it is easy to find a cheap car rental in Crete. With a little research, you should be able to find a car rental at a reasonable price.
Luxury car rental on vacation: why not?
How about a big treat for yourself : rent a nice car on your vacation spot ? We do not necessarily think about it when renting a vehicle for a road trip, but what a good idea though. Crete is one of the largest islands in Europe and therefore offers long roads from east to west, and from north (where the airports of Chania and Heraklion are located) to south.
If you’re taking a road trip to Crete, do it well and do it in style!
Even if the island is very touristic and has a well organized bus network, we strongly advise you to rent a car. Ideal to reach the beaches of Elafonissi or Balos Beach in the west, to less wild destinations like Elounda, Agios Nikolaos or Sitia. Or to drive under the Cretan sun from the northern seaside resorts (Chania, Heraklion, Hersonissos, Malia, Rethymnon, Kissamos) to the southern ones: Paleochora, Loutro, Matala or Ierapetra.
Simple and cheap rental car or sporty and luxury car: you make your choice to visit your vacation place at your speed and without being subjected to bus schedules!
Car rental in Crete: the best offers
Crete is a beautiful island to visit by car. There are many car rental companies that offer good rates. Here are some of the best deals for car rental in Crete.
Starting with Rentalcars.
Rent a car from Chania airport
Chania is the 2nd main city of Crete and has one of the two international airports of the island, where many planes from France land (often with stopovers):
- Marseille-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Paris-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Nantes-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Toulouse-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Mulhouse-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Lyon-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Nice-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Strasbourg-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Montpellier-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Rennes-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Nîmes-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Clermont-Ferrand-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Poitiers-Chania (1 stopover or more)
- Bordeaux-Chania (1 stopover or more)
For more comfort, opt for a car rental in Crete from the airport of Chania with one of the companies present on the spot.
Rent a car from Heraklion airport
Heraklion is the capital of the island and also has an international airport. Where you are likely to land, since :
- Lille-Heraklion : 3h35
- Lyon-Heraklion : 2h50
- Marseille-Heraklion : 2h45
- Nantes-Heraklion : 3h25
- Paris Charles de Gaulle-Heraklion : 3h25
- Paris Orly-Heraklion : 3h30
- Toulouse-Heraklion : 3h05
To get to your hotel, rent a car at Heraklion airport with one of the companies present there.
Car rental companies in Crete
Hertz Crete is a well known car rental company. They offer competitive rates and have a range of high quality rental cars. If you book online, you can save up to 25% on your car rental.
Europcar Crete offers attractive rates for car rental. They have a range of high quality rental cars and high quality services. If you book online, you can save up to 15% on your car rental.
Avis Crete is another well-known car rental company. They also offer competitive rates and high quality rental cars. If you book online, you can save up to 20% on your car rental.
Budget Crete is a car rental company that offers very competitive rates. They have a range of high quality rental cars and high quality services. If you book online, you can save up to 30% on your car rental.
For a simple transfer from the airport
Transfer by cab from Chania Airport
If you don’t plan to drive in Crete, maybe a simple shuttle or cab transfer will be enough to get you to your vacation spot!
Book your cab here for a transfer from Chania Airport:
Transfer from Heraklion airport
From Heraklion airport, to get to your hotel or vacation villa, rent a cab in advance here:
How to find the best car rental in Crete?
There are many car rental companies in Crete, so it is important to do your research before booking. Compare the prices and services offered by each company, and be sure to read the fine print before signing any contract.
Make sure you know what you can and cannot do with your rental car. Most companies do not allow you to leave the island with their car, so if you intend to drive around the Greek islands, you will have to rent another one. Also, some companies have restrictions on the types of roads you can drive on with their cars. For example, you may not be able to drive on mountain roads.
Crete is a very popular island in summer, so it is important to book your car in advance. If you wait until the last minute, chances are you won’t find the car you want or you’ll have to pay extra.
Once you have found the right car rental company in Crete, it is important to read the contract carefully before signing it. Make sure you understand all the terms and conditions, and make sure you know what you’ll have to pay in case of damage to the car or late payment.
Driving in Crete: our 8 tips
Crete is easy to explore by car and there are many things to see and do. Here are the advantages of driving in Crete and renting a car:
- “The island of the Gods” is a very big island! A car is therefore essential to be able to visit everything! It is the largest Greek island and occupies the 5th place in terms of ranking of European islands, after: Sardinia, Sicily, Cyprus and finally Corsica. From east to west, it extends 255 km, and from north to south, its width is 55 km. As mentioned above, it is the 5th island in the middle and this is justified by its dimensions. In general, its total area is 8,336 km² and its periphery is about 1,000 km.
- Crete is a very popular island in summer, but it is also beautiful in winter. If you visit Crete in winter, you can enjoy the snow in the mountains and the beauty of the snowy landscape. Renting a car will allow you to move easily from one place to another and enjoy your stay.
- The roads in Crete are generally in good condition and it is easy to get from one place to another. Most villages and towns on the island are well served by roads and there is little traffic. You will be able to move around easily and enjoy all that this island has to offer.
- Some of the most popular places on the island are much easier to reach with a car, like Balos Beach for example. Indispensable!
- Moreover, a main road crosses the island, allowing to visit the 4 prefectures that make up Crete.
- If you have children with you, make sure that the agency is able to rent you the car with child seats. If not, turn back.
- Apart from the months of July and August, when the demand for rentals drives up the price, you can choose your car by haggling. If you are haggling with multiple agencies, do so with the same car models in mind. Also check the mileage and whether the comprehensive insurance is up to date.
- Finally, the rules of conduct on this part of Greece follow the standards of the European code of conduct
The 3 types of car rental in Crete
Crete is a beautiful island to explore, and there are many ways to do so. Renting a car is one of the best ways to enjoy all that this island has to offer. There are different car rental packages in Crete, and it is important to choose the one that best suits your travel style and needs.
- The standard car rental package Car rental in Crete is ideal for those who want a car to get from point A to point B. It is usually cheaper than other car rental options, and you usually have a choice of different types of vehicles. This package is ideal if you don’t need much flexibility in your travel plans.
- Car rental with driver is ideal for those who want to enjoy their stay in Crete without having to worry about driving. You will have a personal driver at your disposal 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and you can concentrate entirely on your stay. This option is generally more expensive than the standard option, but it can be a great way to ensure a relaxing and stress-free stay.
- The car rental with driver and guide formula is ideal for those who want to make the most of their stay in Crete. You will have a personal driver and guide at your disposal 24/7, and you will be able to enjoy all that this island has to offer. This option is generally more expensive than other car rental options, but it can be a great way to ensure an unforgettable stay.
How to choose your car rental in Crete
Crete is a beautiful Greek island located in the Mediterranean Sea. It is a very popular vacation destination because of its many sandy beaches, historical sites and delicious cuisine. If you are planning a vacation in Crete, you will certainly need a car to get around. Here are some tips on how to choose your car rental in Crete:
1. Decide on your transportation needs
First, you need to determine your transportation needs. If you plan on doing a lot of hiking or visiting historical sites, you may need a larger car to carry all your gear. If you plan to do a lot of city driving, a smaller, more manageable car may be more suitable.
2. Compare prices of different car rental companies
Once you have determined your transportation needs, you can start comparing prices from different car rental companies. Prices generally vary depending on the size and type of car, as well as the length of the rental. It is therefore important to compare prices before booking your car.
3. Choose a car rental company that offers adequate insurance
Be sure to choose a car rental company that offers good insurance. Crete is a fairly rugged island and it is important to be covered in case of an accident or problem. Many car rental companies offer optional insurance, so be sure to read the fine print before booking your car.
4. ask for advice from friends or relatives who have already visited Crete
If you have friends or relatives who have already visited Crete, do not hesitate to ask them for advice. They will probably be able to recommend a good car rental company and give you other useful tips to make the most of your vacation.
Beware of scams
It often happens that tourists cry scam against some rental agencies. To avoid this, Rentacars is the best solution!
The classic process of these scams is to get you to reserve a car by offering you very competitive prices. Once you are in Crete and ready to pick up your car, the people in charge of renting you the car will point out that you have not paid any insurance fee. This means that you will have to pay more than 40% of the initial fee again.
If most people in these conditions refuse at first, they almost always end up giving in, because the demand for cars on the island is almost permanent.